- add extra fibre
- add extra fruit & vegetables
- reduce the amount of sugar, salt, or saturated fat
Diabetes Victoria members have access to a large range of recipes and meal plans that meet our nutrition guidelines. Find out more about membership.
Sweet potato veggie burgersServes: 6
1 can (440g) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen green peas, defrosted
1/2 cup sweet potato, grated
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tbsp wholemeal plain flour
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tbsp canola oil
- Mash the chickpeas and peas together in a large bowl with a fork.
- With your hands, squeeze as much moister from the grated vegetables before adding to the bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients (except the oil) and mix well.
- Take a big spoonful of the mixture and roll into a ball with your hands. Flatten the ball and place on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick fry pan. Add enough patties being careful not to overcrowd and allow room to turn each pattie.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown, then flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Place on paper towel while you cook the rest of the patties.
|Per serve (1 pattie)|
|Energy||695kJ (165 kcal)|
|Exchanges||1.5 per serve|
Image and recipe from Queensland Health. Healthier. Happier. www.healthier.qld.gov.au