DA–Vic respectfully acknowledges the traditional owners of the land the Wurrindjeri people.
Since 1953 Diabetes Australia – Vic has been the peak consumer body and leading charity representing all people affected by diabetes and those at risk.
We are committed to minimising the impact of diabetes in the community, helping all people affected by diabetes and contributing to the search for a cure. Our work covers type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes, as well as programs for people at risk.
We also rely heavily on the generosity of our caring community of members and supporters to help fund our diabetes education, awareness activities and research.
Our offices are located at in the CBD at Elizabeth Street and Queensberry Street, Greensborough and Geelong.
What we do
- We assist over 235,000 Victorians with diabetes.
- We offer a membership program for people with diabetes, their families, carers and diabetes health professionals. People with newly diagnosed diabetes are offered a free trial membership for the first 12 months. Our current membership is around 50,000.
- We run a kids and teens membership initiative to connect and engage young people with diabetes.
- We provide education, information and support to promote and empower self-management for all people with diabetes.
- We administer the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS), which is an initiative of the Australian Government.
- We offer a comprehensive range of retail products to assist in diabetes management. Products are available at 570 Elizabeth St and approved pharmacies across Victoria.
- We support individuals with advocacy issues such as workplace discrimination, access to community based services and affordable diabetes medicines.
- We provide a voice for Victorians with diabetes through advocacy at government and community level.
- We assist health professionals by providing them with the information, resources and professional development to help them support their patients.
We offer a range of services including the Clothing Collection which collects second-hand household items seven days a week. We provide information about diabetes, products, services, programs, events and membership via our Diabetes Infoline 1300 136 588. We also facilitate over 60 diabetes community support groups throughout Victoria.
Education and Programs
We co-ordinate a range of programs including a State Government funded four-year program aimed at preventing type 2 diabetes called Life! Taking Action on Diabetes and The National Diabetes Action Plan (NDAP) - a national awareness program and prevention initiative.
We assist health professionals through our General Practice Program with information, resources and professional development to support their clients with diabetes. We also facilitate The Cultural Diversity Program, an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) Program and type 1 and type 2 diabetes Programs.
We also run diabetes camps in conjunction with the Royals Children’s Hospital and Southern Health where children and teens with diabetes develop skills and confidence through their camp experiences.
Our tailored education for specific target groups include:
- Self-management and group education for people newly-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes
- Telephone counselling and support
In partnership with Deakin University we established the Australian Centre for Behavioural Research in Diabetes (ACBRD) in 2010. It is the nation's first research centre dedicated to the behavioural, psychological and social aspects of diabetes with a focus on improving the quality of life of all people affected by diabetes in Australia.