National Diabetes Week
Help us raise the profile of type 2 diabetes during National Diabetes Week.
Two million Australians are at high risk of type 2 diabetes.
To coincide with National Diabetes Week, Diabetes Australia launched a new prevention campaign urging all Australians to see if they are at risk of type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed in up to 58 per cent of cases through early detection and lifestyle modification. The campaign will also feature the personal stories of people who have prevented and who are living with type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes Australia represents all people affected by all types of diabetes. The aim of the 2014 National Diabetes Week campaign is to raise awareness of the seriousness and prevalence of type 2 diabetes and encourage all Australians to check their risk.
National Diabetes Week ran from 13–19 July 2014.
How can you support this national campaign:
- Visit the campaign website at checkmyrisk.org.au from 13 July to test your risk of type 2 diabetes, to read a variety of personal stories and read about the facts that make up the campaign.
- Help us spread the word. Tell your family, friends, colleagues and local community about the campaign and encourage them to show their support. You can follow the campaign via the Diabetes Australia and Diabetes Australia – Vic Facebook pages or follow us on twitter at @DiabetesAus and @DiabetesVic: use the hashtag #NDW14 to engage with this year’s campaign.
- Display the campaign materials in a prominent place. You can communicate the messages of the campaign with your stakeholders by ordering a campaign pack (3 x A3 posters, 24 post cards and links to an info sheet) by emailing email@example.com Note that the packs will be sent out the first week of July on embargo. After 13 July, the campaign packs will be freely available for download and orders on the campaign website at checkmyrisk.org.au/get-involved
- Hold your own National Diabetes Week event and encourage people to check their risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Let us know what you’re doing to mark National Diabetes Week by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit checkmyrisk.org.au for more information.
Thanks for your support, from the National Diabetes Week Campaign Team.
The Face of Diabetes in Australia campaign was launched during National Diabetes Week 14–20 July 2013.
The campaign aimed to raise awareness of all types of diabetes and emphasise the human face of diabetes. It also drew attention to the very significant financial implications of diabetes and the need for the Commonwealth Government to urgently develop and implement a new national diabetes strategy.
In 2013 we called on all Australians, including the almost 1.1 million who are currently diagnosed with diabetes, to talk to their MP or send a letter to their MP or the Commonwealth Minister for Health advocating for a new national diabetes strategy.
Visit www.faceofdiabetes.org.au for more information.