TEAM T1 - Teens Empowered to Actively Manage Type 1 Diabetes
TEAM T1 is a 5-day Type 1 diabetes education program designed for teenagers aged 14 – 18 years with diabetes. It has been adapted for adolescents from Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating (DAFNE), a program for adults with type 1 diabetes, which teaches people the skills needed to achieve intensive insulin therapy.
TEAM T1 provides teenagers with the skills to calculate how much insulin they need for the carbohydrate-containing food they want to eat, and to manage the day-to-day ups and downs of diabetes more effectively.
The program includes:
- Carbohydrate counting and flexible insulin doses to match carbohydrate in meals and snacks
- Guidance for correction doses, managing hypoglycaemia, sick days and exercise
- A flexible approach that encourages self-management, problem-solving, and building confidence
- Hands-on, interactive learning with a small group of 6-8 teenagers with type 1 diabetes.
- Monitoring and blood glucose targets
- Insulin and dose adjustment (ratios, corrections)
- Managing at school, going out / parties, alcohol
- Future health and transition to adult services
- Communication with parents and health professionals
- Mental health and resilience
- Daily discussion of individual blood glucose results, food estimations and insulin doses.
The emphasis of the course is on active participation, using snack and lunch-times to practice carbohydrate counting, dose calculation and dose adjustment for exercise. The whole group contributes to discussion and problem-solving to learn each others’ experiences throughout the week.
Participants will receive a course handbook, carbohydrate counting references, blood glucose meter and record diary. An activity (such as indoor rock climbing or volleyball) is planned to put into practice exercise guidelines and is an opportunity for fun and socialising with the group.
Programs are conducted during school holidays and are led by an experienced diabetes nurse educator and dietitian.
Dates for 2013
Teen program: Monday 9th – Friday 13th December 2013 (10am – 3pm)
Parent support program: Monday 9th & Friday 13th December 2013 (Monday 9am – 3pm; Friday 10am – 3pm)
Location of December course: Ballarat Grammar, 201 Forest Street, Wendouree Vic
Teen program: Monday 6th – Friday 10th January 2014 (10am – 3pm)
Parent support program: Monday 6th & Friday 10th January 2014 (Monday 9am – 3pm; Friday 10am – 3pm)
Location of January course: Diabetes Australia – Vic, 570 Elizabeth Street Melbourne VIC
For more information about the TEAM T1 program, program dates and centre locations in other states please go to the TEAM T1 website : http://www.teamt1.org.au/
To register please telephone Lauren Cooper on 03 8648 1866 or email TeamT1@diabetesvic.org.au
The TEAM T1 Project is supported by funding from the Australian Government under the Chronic Disease Prevention and Service Improvement Fund.