Health and Education Services
The Health and Education Services team provides information, education and support for people living with diabetes, their carers and diabetes health professionals.
Our credentialed diabetes nurse educators, accredited practising dietitians and advocacy co-ordinator all strive to improve diabetes awareness, management and advocacy through our programs and services.
We help people to better self-manage their diabetes through our Diabetes InfoLine, education programs for people with type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes, information sessions and resources.
Our advocacy co-ordinator provides assistance, support and advocacy for issues affecting people with diabetes or their carers.
We also offer a range of programs and events to assist health professionals to better manage diabetes and educate their clients, including an annual symposium, diabetes updates and presentations.
Contact the Diabetes Info Line on 1300 136 588 and ask to speak to a member of the Health and Education Services Team.
Programs and services in Geelong
Since 1994, we have supported people with diabetes, their families and carers in diabetes management in the Geelong region and continue to provide a range of programs and services. Our programs are delivered by our experienced credentialed diabetes educators and accredited practising dietitians.
We offer the following programs for people with diabetes:
- ‘Living Well with Type 2 Diabetes” - A group education program of five sessions held over six to eight weeks.
- ‘DAFNE’ (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) program for type 1 diabetes.
- Supermarket tours for people with type 2 diabetes.
- ‘LIFE! Taking Action on Diabetes’ prevention program.
- Community Support Groups (ComNet).
- Referral to relevant Health Services.
- Telephone counselling and support.
For Health Professionals we offer:
- A two day professional update programs for Division one and two nurses and allied health professional to update their diabetes management skills.
- Presentations to healthcare organisations on diabetes management.
- Community presentations on diabetes awareness and management and risk assessment to the general public, workplaces and community groups.
- Mentoring and support from a credentialed diabetes educator (RN-CDE).
Contact DA–Vic Geelong
Find out more about the services we provide to Geelong and the surrounding regions, or for dates and costs of programs, phone (03) 5224 5224 or fax (03) 5241 6242 or email or post a letter to Tenancy 6 (First Floor), 75 Roslyn Road, Belmont Vic 3216.