OzDAFNE is a comprehensive diabetes education program for adults with type 1 diabetes.
DAFNE stands for Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating. We call the program OzDAFNE in Australia.
OzDAFNE takes away a lot of the guesswork involved in managing your diabetes. It gives you more freedom in your lifestyle at the same time as improving your health and your quality of life.
OzDAFNE teaches you how to work out the amount of carbohydrate in your food and the right dose of insulin to take. It also teaches you how to make changes to your insulin doses when you need to, and how to manage hypoglycaemia, illness and exercise.
OzDAFNE programs are run in small groups of 6 to 8 people. OzDAFNE involves group work, sharing and comparing experiences with other adults with type 1 diabetes. OzDAFNE trained diabetes nurse educators and dietitians run each program.
Research shows that people who complete an OzDAFNE program:
- have fewer severe hypos
- lower their HbA1c (if it is above target)
- have less diabetes-related distress
- are less likely to be admitted to hospital with serious complications from being sick (diabetic ketoacidosis).
Feedback about OzDAFNE
Watch this short video of some OzDAFNE participants talking about their experience in the program.
- “It was sensational! I had given up hope and almost on life. This has given me a new & powerful start. I felt more support than I have ever felt. And knowing exactly what is happening to me and how to treat it has lifted such an enormous weight.” (Participant from July 2017)
- “The best possible preparation for going on a pump. I don’t know how people manage who haven’t done DAFNE” (Participant from February 2018)
- “It should be compulsory for all T1s!! It is so incredibly helpful.” (Participant from February 2017)
Deciding if OzDAFNE is right for you
An OzDAFNE program may suit you if:
- You have type 1 diabetes
- You are 18 years or older
- You are using pens to inject your insulin, and you take 1 or 2 injections of long acting insulin each day and quick acting insulin each time you eat
- You are using an insulin pump and you understand how to change your settings and download data
- You are willing to check your blood glucose levels at least 4 or 5 times a day
- You are prepared to adjust your own insulin doses based on what you eat, your blood glucose levels, and other factors (like exercise)
- You can attend all 5 days of the program, from 9am to 5pm each day (for in-person programs) or all 7 weekly Zoom group sessions (for OzDAFNE@home)
- You can speak, read, and understand English
Formats availableDiabetes Victoria offers OzDAFNE programs in various formats. You can choose the format that best suits you. You will receive the same information no matter which format you choose.
OzDAFNE Pump (1 week) - This in-person group program is for people using insulin pumps. In this format, you attend the program for 5 days in a row, from Monday to Friday for 1 full week, and from 9am to 5pm each day.
OzDAFNE Pens (1 week) - This in-person group program is for people using insulin pens. In this format, you attend the program for 5 days in a row, from Monday to Friday for 1 full week, and from 9am to 5pm each day.
OzDAFNE Pens (5x1) - This in-person group program is for people using insulin pens. In this format, you attend the program 1 day per week for 5 weeks (for example, 5 Thursdays in a row). Each day runs from 9am to 5pm.
OzDAFNE Pens - OzDAFNE@home - This NEW online program is for people using insulin pens and can be completed from the comfort of your home. In this format, you attend a 4 hour group Zoom session 1 day per week for 7 weeks (for example, 9am to 1pm for 7 Wednesdays in a row). In between Zoom sessions, you complete online lessons at a time that suits you. The lessons should take you about 2 to 3 hours per week to complete. These lessons can be accessed on your smart phone, tablet or computer.
Upcoming OzDAFNE programs at Diabetes Victoria - 2023Diabetes Victoria is currently taking bookings for the programs listed below. All programs will run at our office in Leicester St, Carlton except for the April one, which will be held in Melton.
- OzDAFNE Pens 1 week - Monday 13 February to Friday 17 February 2023
- OzDAFNE Pens 5x1 - Thursday 2 March to Thursday 30 March 2023
- OzDAFNE Pens 1 week - Monday 17 April to Friday 21 April 2023 (to be held in Melton)
- OzDAFNE Pens 5x1 - Wednesday 10 May to Wednesday 7 June 2023
- OzDAFNE Pump 1 week - Monday 22 May to Friday 26 May 2023
There is currently no cost to attend an OzDAFNE program at Diabetes Victoria, thanks to funding provided by the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS).
There may be fees charged at other OzDAFNE centres.
Bookings and more information
To book into an in-person OzDAFNE program at Diabetes Victoria or to find out more information about the program, please call the OzDAFNE team on 03 9667 1719 or send us an email.
To book into an OzDAFNE@home program, please click the link and enter your details to join the national OzDAFNE@home waiting list.
Diabetes Victoria runs regular OzDAFNE programs in Melbourne city and occasionally in other locations across the state. OzDAFNE programs are also run by other organisations at different locations across Victoria and in most other states in Australia. Please visit the national OzDAFNE website to see the full list of locations or call us on 03 9667 1719 and we will find the nearest location to you.
Funding to support the OzDAFNE program is provided by the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS).