OzDAFNE programs are now running again at Diabetes Victoria. However, some changes have been made in order to meet the requirements of our COVIDSafe Plan and government regulations. Participants will be informed of any relevant requirements when they are offered a place in a program.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: OzDAFNE programs restart
For more information on OzDAFNE, please contact: email@example.com or call the NDSS Helpline 1800 637 700 for advice and support.
For more Information on COVID-19, please visit the Department of Health coronavirus information page or contact the Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080
OzDAFNE graduates can access the OzDAFNE ketone and illness guidelines here.
OzDAFNE is a 5 day diabetes education program for adults with type 1 diabetes.
DAFNE stands for Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating. We call the program OzDAFNE in Australia.
OzDAFNE takes away a lot of the guesswork involved in managing your diabetes. It gives you more freedom in your lifestyle at the same time as improving your health and your quality of life.
OzDAFNE teaches you how to work out the amount of carbohydrate in your food and the right dose of insulin to take. It also teaches you how to make changes to your insulin doses when you need to, and how to manage hypoglycaemia, illness and exercise.
OzDAFNE programs are run in small groups of 6 to 8 people. OzDAFNE involves group work, sharing and comparing experiences with other adults with type 1 diabetes. OzDAFNE trained diabetes nurse educators and dietitians run each program.
Research shows that people who complete an OzDAFNE program:
- have fewer severe hypos
- lower their HbA1c (if it is above target)
- have less diabetes-related distress
- are less likely to be admitted to hospital with serious complications from being sick (diabetic ketoacidosis).
Feedback about OzDAFNE
Watch this short video of some OzDAFNE participants talking about their experience in the program.
- “It was sensational! I had given up hope and almost on life. This has given me a new & powerful start. I felt more support than I have ever felt. And knowing exactly what is happening to me and how to treat it has lifted such an enormous weight.” (Participant from July 2017)
- “The best possible preparation for going on a pump. I don’t know how people manage who haven’t done DAFNE” (Participant from February 2018)
- “It should be compulsory for all T1s!! It is so incredibly helpful.” (Participant from February 2017)
Deciding if OzDAFNE is right for you
An OzDAFNE program may suit you if:
- You have type 1 diabetes
- You are 18 years or older
- You are using pens to inject your insulin, and you take 1 or 2 injections of long acting insulin each day and quick acting insulin each time you eat
- You are using an insulin pump and you understand how to change your settings and download data
- You are willing to check your blood glucose levels at least 4 or 5 times a day
- You are prepared to adjust your own insulin doses based on what you eat, your blood glucose levels, and other factors (like exercise)
- You can attend all 5 days of the program, from 9am to 5pm each day
- You can speak, read, and understand English
Upcoming OzDAFNE programs at Diabetes Victoria
All OzDAFNE programs run from 9am to 5pm for 5 days.
You can choose to attend a program for 5 days in a row, from Monday to Friday for 1 full week. Or, you can attend a program which runs 1 day per week for 5 weeks (for example, 5 Thursdays in a row). You will get the same information whichever you choose.(Please note that currently OzDAFNE Pump programs are only available in the 1 full week format).
2021 datesDiabetes Victoria was unable to run OzDAFNE programs for most of 2020 due to coronavirus restrictions. This means that we have created a waiting list for people who would like to attend a program in 2021 now that programs have restarted. People on the waiting list will be contacted when a place in a program becomes available.
To register your interest and join the waiting list, please contact the OzDAFNE team by email or phone 03 9667 1719.
There is currently no cost to attend an OzDAFNE program at Diabetes Victoria, thanks to funding provided by the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS).
There may be fees charged at other OzDAFNE centres.
Bookings and more information
Diabetes Victoria runs regular OzDAFNE programs in Melbourne city and in Geelong. Diabetes Victoria sometimes runs programs in other locations as well. OzDAFNE programs are also run by other organisations at different locations across Victoria (see list below) and in most other states in Australia. Please visit the national OzDAFNE website to see the full list of locations or call us on 03 9667 1719 and we will find the nearest location to you.
- Ballarat - Contact Carmen Goldsbrough at Ballarat Community Health by phone 03 5338 4500 or email.
- Cranbourne & Pakenham - Contact the Access & Intake team at Monash Health Community by phone 1300 342 273 or email
- Epping - Contact the Intake team at DPV Health by phone 03 9409 8724 or email
- Ferntree Gully & Wantirna - Contact Lynne Pharoah-Hamer at Knox Social and Community Health (EACH) by phone 03 9757 6200 or email
- Melton - Contact Maree Bell at Djerriwarrh Health Services by phone 03 9747 7802 or email
- Mornington - Contact the OzDAFNE team at Peninsula Health by phone 1300 665 781 or email
- Wangaratta - Contact theOzDAFNE team at Northeast Health Wangaratta by phone 03 5722 5555 or email
Funding to support the OzDAFNE program is provided by the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS).
|The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) is an initiative of the Australian Government and is administered by Diabetes Australia.|
The NDSS agent in Victoria is Diabetes Victoria.
Find out more about the NDSS at ndss.com.au or call the NDSS Helpline on 1800 637 700.
📅 Page last updated: 25 March 2021