- add extra fibre
- add extra fruit & vegetables
- reduce the amount of sugar, salt, or saturated fat
Diabetes Victoria members have access to a large range of recipes and meal plans that meet our nutrition guidelines. Find out more about membership.
Zucchini and corn frittersServes: 6
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 medium zucchini, grated
2 small red capsciums, seeded and diced
1 x 400g can reduced-salt corn kernels, drained
2 spring onions (including green tops), chopped
1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Freshly ground or cracked black pepper
3/4 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup low-fat milk
Olive oil or canola oil spray
2 avocados, diced
1 large tomato, diced
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Squeeze zucchini of excess liquid and place in a large bowl with 2/3 of the capsicum and the corn, spring onions, basil and cheese. Season with pepper.
- Sift flour over vegetables then mix to combine.
- Pour milk into a jug, add eggs and whisk together with a fork. Add to vegetables and stir well.
- Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat and spray liberally with oil. Add heaped tablespoons of mixture evenly spread around the pan and spread using the back of the spoon to 8cm diameter. Cook for 2 minutes or until firm and golden. Flip and brown on reverse side for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, keep warm and repeat with remaining mixture.
- To make salsa, combine remaining capscium with avocado, tomato, basil and lime in a medium-sized bowl.
- Divide salsa between plates and serve with a stack of 3 fritters per plate.
- Use 4 cups (600g) of any combination of grated or diced vegetables including sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, potato, peas, leek, English spinach, drained semi-sundried tomatoes or frozen diced vegetables.
- Replace basil with herbs of your choice such as coriander, chives, parsley or thyme.
- Serve fritters with tomato salsa, relish, tzatziki or yoghurt dressing.
|Per serve (serves 6)|
© Recipe reproduced with permission from LiveLighter https://livelighter.com.au/Recipe/423/zucchini-and-corn-fritters