- add extra fibre
- add extra fruit & vegetables
- reduce the amount of sugar, salt, or saturated fat
Diabetes Victoria members have access to a large range of recipes and meal plans that meet our nutrition guidelines. Find out more about membership.
Pork and Apple San Choy Bao
Organisation: Nuts for Life
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 Servings
Type of recipe: healthy, main meal
- 3 apples
- 2 tbs peanut or vegetable oil
- 600g lean pork mince
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbs hot chilli sauce
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaves, trimmed to serve
- coriander sprigs, hot chilli sauce, lime wedges, to serve
- Cut apples into quarters. Dice eight of the apple quarters and cut the remaining four into matchsticks. Place matchsticks into a bowl, cover with soda water and set aside.
- Heat wok over high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add diced apple. Stir-fry 3 minutes until just tender and start to colour on edges. Remove to a bowl. Reheat the wok until hot.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil and half the mince, stir-fry 2-3 minutes until mince changes colour. Remove to a bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and mince. Drain any excess liquid from the mince. Return all the mince to the hot wok. Add, green onions and garlic and stir fry 30 seconds. Return the apples, add hoisin and chilli sauce. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes until sticky.
- Drain apple matchstick, pat dry with paper towel. Spoon pork and apple mixture into lettuce leaves. Top with apple matchsticks, coriander and chilli sauce. Serve with lime wedges.
|Per serve (serves 6)|
© Recipe reproduced with permission from of Aussie Apples.