While there is currently no known cure, the good news is that having diabetes will not prevent you from living a normal life. People with type 1 have become elite athletes, mountaineers, corporate high-flyers, scientists, medical professionals. There is no reason for diabetes to stop you from being successful in almost any field.
Having type 1 diabetes today means your management options are improving all the time. Research has found new insulins and technology to assist you to self manage your condition and your blood glucose levels.
Trying to balance all the requirements of diabetes management can be a challenge. There is a lot to learn as you begin to understand how your body responds to different foods, physical activity and insulin and how to fit diabetes into your life.
There are many people who can help you to understand and manage your condition. We have a range of type 1 diabetes services available to support you.
How we can help:
- Membership with Diabetes Victoria gives you the support you need to manage your diabetes.
- We have a range of type 1 diabetes services available to support you.
- Call the Diabetes Helpline on 1300 437 386 to speak to a health professional.
- Meet other people with diabetes at one of our support groups.
- Check out some of the resources we have for free and in our online shop.