You may be entitled to money from Centrelink if you have diabetes. You can contact Centrelink to check if you are able to receive a payment or concession as a person with diabetes or a family carer.

Centrelink services you may be eligible for

Some of the services you may be eligible for include:

  • Financial planning, including retirement from paid work
  • Health Care Card
  • Carers Payment
  • Carers Allowance
  • Disability Support Pensions
  • Aged Pensions and concessions
Tips for dealing with Centrelink
  • Be patient!
  • Read the current Centrelink forms before contacting Centrelink as information about payments changes every six months
  • You may need to confirm your identity to Centrelink when your claim a payment or service
  • You will be asked to fill out many forms before any payments start
  • Ask Centrelink how long it will take until payments start
  • Be prepared to wait on the phone or for an appointment with Centrelink staff at their offices
  • Ask for a receipt number for all contacts, and keep notes of all the contact you have with Centrelink
  • Always ask Centrelink staff to photocopy documents so that you have a copy
  • If English is not your first language you can ask for an interpreter by calling the Department of Human Services Multilingual Phone Service on 131 202
  • You can make an appointment with a Centrelink Social Worker by calling 132 307
  • You can find out if there is an office or access point close to you by visiting the Centrelink website
  • If you want extra help with any issues to do with Centrelink, call Social Security Rights Victoria Inc. They provide legal information and assistance that relates to social security law that is, issues to do principally with Centrelink. They can be contacted weekdays from 9.30am to 12.30pm on 03 9481 0355 (Melbourne) or 1800 094 164 (outside Melbourne or Geelong areas).
  • If you think a Centrelink decision is unfair you have the right to:
    • Ask for the decision to be looked at by a Centrelink Authorised Review Officer (ARO) or a Centrelink Subject Matter Expert (SME).
    • Appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal if you disagree with the ARO or SME.

For further assistance contact our advocacy team by calling 1300 136 588 or head to our contact us page.

📅 Page last updated: 14 September 2020