- add extra fibre
- add extra fruit & vegetables
- reduce the amount of sugar, salt, or saturated fat
Our recipe of the month is recommended by our dietitians using Diabetes Australia’s own recipe guidelines.
Diabetes Victoria members have access to a large range of recipes and meal plans that meet our nutrition guidelines. Find out more about membership.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Type of meal: Main meal – lunch or dinner
Ingredients1 clove garlic, crushed
1 carrot, grated
1/2 zucchini, grated
1 onion, finely diced
6 mushrooms, finely chopped
1 cup baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
500 g lean beef mince
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
2 tsp reduced-salt beef stock powder
4 cups water
1 400 g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
300 g spaghetti
- Combine mince, garlic, carrot, zucchini, parsley, egg and breadcrumbs in a bowl. With wet hands, roll 1 tablespoon of mixture to make a ball. Repeat to make 16 to 24 meatballs.
- Turn frypan onto medium heat and spray with oil. Add meatballs to frypan and cook until browned all over. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to frypan and cook until soft. Add tomato paste, mushrooms, spinach, stock powder and water and bring to the boil. Add meatballs to sauce, reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Gently stir after 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and add spaghetti. Cook for 8 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally until pasta is cooked.
per serve per 100g
Energy 1959 kJ 381 kJ
Protein 31.8g 6.2 g
Fat, total 11 g 2.1 g
- saturated 3.9 g 0.8 g
Carbohydrate 56.2 g 10.9 g
- sugars 6.3 g 1.2 g
Sodium 599 mg 116 mg
Fibre 6.3 g 1.2 g
Chilli, lemon and herbs add flavour - great alternatives to butter and salt!
This recipe has been reproduced with permission from LiveLighter. LiveLighter is a public health campaign which aims to educate adults about the risks associated with being overweight or obese and help them make simple, lasting changes to their lifestyles. For more information, visit livelighter.com.au