- add extra fibre
- add extra fruit & vegetables
- reduce the amount of sugar, salt, or saturated fat
Diabetes Victoria members have access to a large range of recipes and meal plans that meet our nutrition guidelines. Find out more about membership.
Greek style rice and feta stuffed tomatoesServes: 4
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
8 medium vine-ripened tomatoes (about 60g each)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (+ olive oil spray)
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2/3 cup brown rice, cooked
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 tablespoons chopped dill
100g reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
Rocket leaves and crusty wholegrain bread to serve
- Preheat oven to 160ºC.
- Cut a 1-cm thick slice off the stem-side of each tomato. Set tops aside. Using a teaspoon, scoop out tomato pulp including seeds (without damaging skin) into a bowl. Roughly chop pulp. Pat dry tomato cavities with paper towel.
- To make stuffing, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add rice. Stir to coat in oil and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato pulp and stock. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 25 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parsley, dill and feta.
- Evenly spoon rice mixture into tomatoes. Top with tomato tops.
- Arrange tomatoes into a greased large baking dish. Spray with olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes until tomatoes are tender.
- Serve with rocket leaves and crusty wholegrain bread.
|Per serve (serves 4)|
|Exchanges||2 per serve|
© Recipe and image kindly provided by Sanitarium Health & Wellbeing Company.