- add extra fibre
- add extra fruit & vegetables
- reduce the amount of sugar, salt, or saturated fat
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Type of recipe: healthy mains, chicken, gluten free
- 8 chicken lovely legs (800g) or skinless drumsticks, trimmed of fat
- juice of 2 oranges (200mL)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin or coriander
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 700g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
- 500g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 440g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- Divide orange juice, garlic, cumin/coriander and pepper evenly between two cups, stir to combine.
- Add honey and rind to one cup for chicken marinade.
- Place chicken in a medium sized baking dish, pour honey marinade over and toss to coat chicken.
- To make vegetable parcels, cut four 50cm lengths of both baking paper and foil. Place foil on a flat surface, top with baking paper.
- Divide the pumpkin, sweet potato, onion and chickpeas amongst the parcels. Pour ¼ marinade on each parcel.
- Fold the long sides of baking paper and foil over filling to enclose, tuck short sides under to seal.
- Place parcels on a tray and bake with chicken, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Turn legs over and cook for a further 15 minutes until chicken is browned and cooked through, and vegetables are tender.
- Divide chicken between plates, spoon over any pan juices. Add a vegetable parcel to be opened at the table, or spoon vegetables and sauce onto plates.
• Replace chickpeas with a can of drained no-added-salt cannellini beans.
• Add a handful of cherry tomatoes to vegetable mix before baking.
• Stir baby spinach leaves through vegetable parcels prior to serving.
Cover dish, refrigerate and marinate chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
Per serve (6)
Energy 1698 kJ
Protein 33.9 g
Total fat 9.8 g
Saturated fat 2.4 g
Carbohydrate 40.6 g
Sodium 265.5 mg
Fibre 9.8 g
Recipe from reproduced with permission from LiveLighter. Delivered by the Cancer Council Victoria, in partnership with the Heart Foundation, LiveLighter is funded by the State Government and is viewed as a critical element of Healthy Together Victoria www.livelighter.com.au
Diabetes Victoria members have access to a large range of recipes and meal plans that meet our nutrition guidelines. For more information, or to become a member, visit our member page.