Diabetes is a serious and complex condition that affects at least 1.7 million Australians. It is the seventh and eighth leading cause of death in females and males respectively, and the fourth largest contributor to overall disease burden in Australia. The costs associated with diabetes are substantial. The total cost of diabetes annually in Victoria has been estimated to be as high as $3.6 billion.
As the voice for the diabetes community, Diabetes Victoria places diabetes high on the agenda of change makers through our advocacy and awareness-raising efforts. We promote issues and campaigns to address the impact of diabetes in our community, lead the way in diabetes prevention, management and research and maximise health resources to assist people living with diabetes.
Diabetes Victoria works with many partner organisations, committees and communities to maximise our reach and impact for our campaigns. Among our partner organisations are The Parents’ Voice and The Obesity Policy Coalition.
Bust a Myth
Diabetes Victoria’s new awareness campaign, Bust a Myth, kicks off on Monday 4 June 2018.
This theme will help to bust some of the most common myths around diabetes – and will help Victorians to understand more about the condition.
Bust a Myth provides Diabetes Victoria with the opportunity to raise awareness about all types of diabetes and the myriad of myths surrounding the condition.
We have chosen five common myths to bust during the week. Every day, we will debunk one common myth around diabetes.
This campaign, scheduled to run from Monday 4 June to Friday 8 June, consists of five videos and campaign materials, which will run across digital, social and print media. By busting these five diabetes myths we will help dispel the stigma for people living with any type of diabetes.
What you can do:
- Display our campaign poster in a prominent place. The poster will be available from Monday 4 June here.
- Visit the website: bustamyth.org.au (live from Monday 4 June) to learn more about how Diabetes Victoria is campaigning for people living with diabetes.
- Raise awareness using the hashtag: #bustamyth
- Share your story via our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.
- Consider making a donation to Diabetes Victoria to help fund vital services and research.